How To Keep My Night Guard Clean?
The habit of grinding and clenching can become expensive with all of the costs associated with protecting your teeth. Night guards, even our affordable range, come with a cost. So it’s in your best interest to do what you can to keep it in prime condition as this will, in turn, prolong the life of your guard.
We make our custom night guards with high-quality thermo-plastic so they are built to last, but there is definitely a need for you to keep them clean and in their best condition. Not to mention, if you don’t take proper care of your guard they can become quite unhygienic. That being said, there are a few precautions you should take when you set out to clean your guard. Here are a few do’s and don’t’s for keeping your guard in an optimal condition.
- Wash in cold or warm water
- Rinse thoroughly after each night.
- Gently use a toothbrush if a deeper clean is required.
- Soak in non-alcoholic mouthwash to freshen up the scent and taste of the guard
- Use a denture cleaning tablet or sachet ideally once a week to keep your guard from getting too dirty.
- Keep your guard in its case.
- Wash in hot/boiling water. This can melt or deform the shape of your whitening guard.
- Use abrasive materials such as toothpaste or alcoholic mouthwashes. Just like using hot water, these substances can affect the integrity of the guard. Using abrasive materials will ruin the guard.
- Keep guard in direct sunlight. Direct sunlight can cause the guard to get hot and deform or discolour.
Keeping your night guard clean will prolong their life. It will also keep it nice and hygienic, remember these things are going in your mouth and no one wants to be putting a germy smelly bit of plastic in their mouth. A clean guard will prevent the risk of gum disease and other mouth related issues.
To assist with keeping your guard in it’s best possible condition, and as always making life easy for our customers, we have our sonic cleaning pack which can be purchased for $34.95. This gives you all of the tools you need to keep your guard clean. Featuring the sonic cleaning device, a battery-powered device using vibrations to thoroughly clean your guard in just 15 minutes. Accompanied by our sonic cleaner are the dental cleaning brush and cal dent denture cleaning sachets. Whilst it’s not essential to purchase our cleaning pack, it certainly will make your life a lot easier! Have a look at the pack here.